The Ministries of St. Mark's Church are many and varied with different groups of people interested in contributing to the operation of the parish. Here is a short list of the many ministries at St. Mark's:
- Lay Eucharistic Ministers (LEMs) - assist the clergy by administering Eucharist at various church services.
- Lay Readers - read the lessons, Psalms, and prayers of the people during worship.
- Altar Guild - prepares the church for all worship services cares for our altar, our fine linens, and the flowers in preparation for all services. Individuals work in teams and serve one week per month. Teams meet once a week (during their service week) to set up the altar for the Sunday services.
- Ushers & Greeters - share hospitality to visitors and parishioners every Sunday morning. Responsibilities include greeting all who enter the church, distributing service bulletins and collecting the offering. In addition, ushers assist those with special needs, help ensure that seating is available for all in attendance, and check that the church has a clean appearance after the service.
- Sacrament Presenter - We have a custom at St. Mark’s of scheduling a couple of persons to be sacrament presenters on a Sunday. As sacrament presenters, the two persons bring the elements of bread and wine to the altar during the offertory.
- Hospitality - We have 12 teams for hosting, one team for each month. Each team has a leader/coordinator with a team or 2 or 3 couples or partners. One Sunday a month we have a special hosting time with all members of the team involved in bringing food. This is the Sunday that may have a special theme and all the wonderful dishes that we are famous for. The rest of the Sundays in the month the teams are responsible for putting out church purchased items such as cheese and crackers, frozen grapes, and other finger foods. That team will also clean up afterwards. The teams designate who does what for each Sunday in the month. As you feel led, please sign up to be a team leader, a team member, or if you want to be on the supply shopping team.
- Acolytes/Chalice Bearer - Adult and children assist in various ways during worship.
- Crucifer – the minister who carries the cross at the properly appointed times and assists the celebrant in setting the table at the Eucharist. In our parish, the crucifer also bears the first chalice during the time of communion.
- Torchbearer – the minister who lights the candles before the service, carries the torches at the properly appointed times and extinguishes the candles after the service.
- Gospel Bearer – the minister who carries the gospel book at the properly appointed times. In our parish, the gospel bearer also bears the second chalice during the time of communion.